[ Introduction ]
What's the best way to increase English vocabulary? That sounds like a million dollar question, doesn't it? Unfortunately, there is no quick and easy solution to that question. If only we could know the ultimate answer to the question, we wouldn't have a hard time learning English as we do now.
For most English learners, expanding their vocabulary effectively is not only a challenging task but also an extremely time-consuming and boring process. It is needless to say that what ultimately determines the success or failure of English learning is how well we build up our vocabulary arsenal for a short period of time.
Most importantly, we need to find effective ways to learn and practice vocabulary that work best for us because we all learn new words differently. We all have different priorities and we have different amount of time to spend when we are learning English. It is very desirable for us to create our own good study habits and find ways to enjoy English learning journey while increasing new words effectively and boosting English confidence gradually.
For my part, I have formed my own habits of improving my vocabulary. Among them is building up my vocabulary arsenal through taking word tests. As each question includes an example sentence using a new word we are learning, this method is quite different from the rote memorization that a lot of learners frequently use in the process of expanding their vocabulary. Here are 25 quite challenging vocabulary questions made up by using somewhat confusing words. I earnestly hope that all the voracious viewers of EBSe English News take this word test and have a good chance to evaluate their vocabulary ability. As always, the world is your oyster. Have a fantabulous weekend!
[ Word Test ]
1) He _________ that he was indifferent to politics.
2) He was ___________ for ten days upon a mere suspicion.
3) Police _______ a number of violent protesters from the hall.
4) He has decided to ________ from the association.
5) You will not ________ her even if she stands before you.
6) People should insulate their homes to ________ energy.
7) He cursed his enemy with a terrible __________.
8) They _________ with the terrorists to overthrow the government
9) He was _________ for being indolent at work .
10) I learned a worthwhile _______ from the movie.
11) He ________ patriotism into the hearts of his sons.
12) They tried to persuade me to ______ my words.
13) They ________ him with promises of absolute power.
14) He remained all his life a ________ human being.
15) I was so confused that I couldn't ________ my thoughts.
16) She didn't ________ with his view in many points.
17) The rebel schemed to _______ the current government.
18) They agreed to ______ from the bombing campaign.
19) He didn't _______ that he made a mistake.
20) She typed the report and ___________ it.
21) That song _________ up memories of his good old days.
22) We have no legal power to _______ them from our party.
23) They __________ the failing economy to high taxes.
24) The volunteers _________ food and clothing to the poor.
25) Those who were caught were either fined or ________.
[Arbitrary evaluation criteria]
* 24 - 25 ... exceptional
* 22 - 23 ... excellent
* 18 - 20 ... good
* 15 - 17 ... average